Join us virtually for SHP’s Wheat Week, September 8th-10th, 2020. On day one, we’ll get perspectives on soil health from our wheat industry partners. Then, on days two and three, hear from SHP farmer partners to see the wheat trials they are implementing. They will share their challenges and goals for soil health on their operation.
Attend one or all days to gain insights on:
- The unique benefits of wheat. Why and how wheat industry groups are investing in soil health and striving for sustainability.
- Why diversifying crop rotations with a small grain like wheat can provide opportunities to expand conservation practices.
- Discover how to assess where your operation’s soil health is with tests you can do yourself.
- Hear from growers who have experienced challenges in their operations and are incorporating effective soil health practices to mitigate them.
- How growers persevere with conservation practices in diverse growing conditions.
Tuesday, September 8th | 9:00 am CST
The Wheat Industry’s Perspective on Soil Health
- Jay Watson, General Mills
- Representative from National Wheat Foundation
- Justin Gilpin, Kansas Association of Wheat Growers
- Charlie Vogel, Minnesota Association of Wheat Growers
- Panel Discussion moderated by SHP Senior Director, John Mesko
Wednesday, September 9th | 9:00 am CST
Featuring the farms of SHP partner farmers Justin Knopf and Mike Jordan
- Overview of Knopf Farms
Justin’s SHP field is a piece of ground that they haven’t had very long, and it is not as productive as other areas of the farm. Justin’s research with SHP will focus on how to build the soil health qualities like biological activity and nutrient cycling to “jump start” the ground and change its productivity and sustainability.
- Overview of Mike Jordan’s farm
Michael has been interested in and tried cover crops on his farm in North Central Kansas a handful of times in the past 20 years with limited success. Mike’s research question was simply how will cover crops work over a 5 year period in semi-arid conditions?
- How to assess soil health in your own field
SHP Field Manager Keith Byerly will compare two soils to see how soil holds up to weathering factors.
- Challenges of the 2020 wheat growing season and 2021 considerations
Jay Wisbey, Central Kansas District Crop Production Agent.
- Mike Jordan on the challenges he has had in the past with cover crops
- Establishing a baseline for where your soil biological activity is at and how do it yourself
Find out if we see differences in the trials being done between the application of cover crops and control in just a few months.
- Knopf Cover Crop Field
Justin planted a field to a multi species cover crop mix this year to use for grazing. He will talk about the thought process of committing this ground to that, and what will define success for this endeavor.
- Wheat Quality Testing Results
Does soil quality affect wheat grain quality? What we are testing and why.
Thursday, September 10th | 9:00 am CST
Featuring the farm of SHP partner farmers Glenn Hjelle and Trinity Creek Ranch
- Glenn Hjelle’s Farm
A look at Glenn’s typical management practices and how he has had to adapt his practices. Get a look at the SHP trial on his farm and what inspired him to seek out the research. Glenn will show the equipment he utilized to apply cover crops along with cover crop mix.
- Trinity Creek Ranch
They will share why they are so passionate about sustainability and what it’s done for their farm. See how they have diversified cropping systems, found success with cover crops and the equipment they use to interseed. They will also explain how having cattle has impacted their soil health.
- Q&A Session
If you cannot attend the live event, still register for access to the recording of the field day.